My version of salsa verde doesn’t have anchovies because I find them too salty but makes the most of some of the herbs that are at their best in spring and early summer.
Salsa verde primavera
- Big bunch of herbs - flat leaf parsley, chervil, fennel leaves, finely chopped
- Up to a tablespoon of capers, depending on how much you like them. The ones in brine are best but rinse them before using.
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Juice of half a lemon
- Generous teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Crushed clove of garlic
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Black pepper
Mix everything together and serve as a dressing for fish or salad. I chop everything by hand which makes for a thick textured paste more like pesto which I prefer. You could use a blender in which case it would be more pourable. You could add gherkins as well but they are the food of the devil.